Repent in Dust & Ashes

Reading Job at times actually does feel more like a 'job' than a bed-time story. It is filled with rich, poetic words and one easily struggles to follow what everybody is trying to say.

Strangely, while reading through Chapters 15-30 I got side-tracked...a lot. God's word is powerful and the 'magic' of the Bible is in discerning what God may be telling you. He does communicate with you in different ways. He knows, for example, that I get easily distracted. So He certainly used my own distraction to His advantage.

Modern Christians love banners...or 'catchy tags'. Who doesn't? Nowadays, we try to promote feelings or attitudes with 140 characters and hashtags. Job's tweet probably would have included #annoyingfriends. For most of the Chapters it does seem annoying how Job's "friends" don't understand his point of view. They believe he cannot be righteous. According to them, God doesn't allow evil things to happen to the righteous. They mock and make fun of Job.

However, Job is the only one who recognizes that the God he has faith in is the God of Struggle. The Book of Job is considered as an "investigation of the problem of divine justice". What confuses us the most is how a righteous, blameless man who does so much good can encounter so much injustice. We, the readers, tend to comprehend what Job's friends are getting at. We, too, are frustrated with Job's apparent 'arrogance'. That is what the young Elihu ends up proclaiming: that God doesn't listen to arrogance.

But Job is God's servant and eventually God comes through...and speaks to them all. This is the funny part, because Elihu's speech has become unbearable...and boldly declared that he is speaking on behalf of God. But God steps right in there and puts Elihu back in his place. Elihu is the one who portrays sheer arrogance. And God asks him: "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundations?" (Job 38: 4) It makes me smile, for I can imagine Him saying that to all kinds of "wise men" who think they have the answers to everything.

Job listens to God. Job said all he had to say. And now that God asks 'the accuser' for a reply, Job just answers with:

"I am unworthy - how can I reply to you?
 I put my hand over my mouth
 I spoke once, but I have no answer -
 twice, but I will say no more." (Job 40: 4-5)

Job is humbled before God. Yet God continues his tirade, throwing rhetorical questions at him (them). Ultimately, Job does answer God and ends with the following:

"My ears had heard of you
 But now my eyes have seen you.
 Therefore I despise myself
 and repent in dust and ashes." (Job 42: 5-6)

In the end, God restores Job and makes him more prosperous than before.

The lesson for me is that we ought to recognize our need for repentance - even if we feel like we are the righteous ones. God is the ultimate judge. He is the God of Israel...the one who wrestles with God.

Christianity is not fluffy and cute...it is raw and gritty. It is a 'get your hands dirty' faith. But God always gives us a choice...He will always provide opportunities to experience MORE of Him. Christianity is like that old-timer car. It looks shiny and elegant. Underneath, however, it's so much more complicated. And only if you investigate the underside (and inside) of a car, will you receive a great understanding of how it works...and why it works as it should. God encourages us, whilst dealing with our struggles, to gain wisdom.

Job repents in dust and ashes, for out of the dust we rose and into the ashes we shall return. It is repentance from BEGINNING to END. Alpha to Omega. Whatever choice we make in regard to following Christ, we must remember that all Glory is His and that we should repent for our entire lives - because we are far from being righteous.

Comments