Revelatory Reflections

As we come to the close of the year 2014…and my own personal attempt to complete the Bible in One Year Reading (hosted by HTB Church)…I’m naturally forced to reflect upon the past 12 months. 

Ironically, the end of the Bible brings us full circle to a place of “Revelation”. For it is revelation that is the true seed of encountering the Bible in its full measure. In the end, you are called to believe in the prophecy that the day will arrive when Jesus returns and sets things right. 

Although I haven’t been consistent in my commentary on my own reading and, if I’m honest with myself, I missed out a few chunks here and there, I’m glad to say that my spiritual growth and understanding has come far this year. What has impressed me the most is that, in moments when I felt like I didn’t want to open the Holy Book, there was a real revelation in my reading certain passages. I’ve noticed that when you invite the Holy Spirit to join your reading, it tends to be extremely fruitful. 

God is immeasurably more complicated and greater than the words used to describe Him in the Bible. The Bible is NOT God. That much is clear. Yet, it is inspired…and in turn it inspires you throughout the year. It inspires you to engage in theological concepts or simply just take what it says at face value. It speaks to each one of us in different ways…which makes it so exciting! 66 books full of varying interpretations. God invites you to make the Bible your own story…your story of salvation…your story of hope, love and faith. 

God created words. And those words became flesh. In that respect, you are God’s holy word….you are a part of the bible. You, yourself, are an inspired creation! That in itself is such an amazing revelation to take into the new year. 

As Christians, we are called to reflect love…love for one another - whether Christian or not. Too much hate is being propagated in a time when the hateful rule the world. We are called to set ourselves apart…not from others, but from the world. The world is not some empty, hollow concept. It is a system that tries to destroy what we as Christians (should) stand for…and we ought to stand up, because nobody else will fight our battles. Yes, Jesus is by our side. But he has created each one of us with a holy purpose. And that’s the quest we’re all on: to be faithful to our King and serve Him to the best of our abilities! 

So, for 2015 I have but one thing on my heart: to seek God in my every day, my every hour, my every minute! To ask Him to teach me how to encounter Him intimately. To invite Him into every nook and cranny of my life. I want no spot left untouched by God’s amazing grace. I want to glorify Him for He has truly revealed Himself in my own life. 


And even if He doesn’t come next year as described in Revelations, I hold on to the fact that He is already here…in my heart, my mind and my soul. He’s taken me captive and I am happy to be a prisoner to His redemptive love. I am son and friend of God. There’s nothing else I could ever want.

Comments