Conception

Out of the mouth of babies and infants,
you have established strength because of your foes,
    to still the enemy and the avenger.  

                                                             - Psalm 8:2


Our son recently turned 1. It has been the greatest adventure of my life to watch him grow up and trying to experience the world from his perspective. 

There have been times when my heart almost stopped because of him falling over or hitting his head or crying due to pain.

Several times, he has tested my patience. 

Often times, he drives me up the wall.

Most of the times, however, he brings me such inexplicable joy. My heart leaps when I hear his voice or he comes running to me.

To say that I have come to understand the Father's heart would be a lie. I have merely been given the opportunity to glimpse at God's extravagant love for us. In this respect, I cannot fathom how much it hurts God when we, as his children and creation, do not communicate with Him. I could never imagine my son not talking to me or come running in to my arms. 

In the past year, I have witnessed God's supernatural provision - too numerous to count. 

Beginning with my wife's pregnancy and her health throughout; the miraculous natural birth; to the unbelievable, heavenly protection our son received. How can anyone with a healthy child not count their blessings and praise God?


Psalm 8:2 speaks about God's establishing His strength out of the mouths of babies and infants. The weakest praise is strong enough to still the enemy. The God we worship doesn't need us to be strong. He simply needs us to be His children and act accordingly.

God's strength is made perfect in our weakness. Just like my son calls out to me in moments when he's in trouble or stuck between furniture, God's name is glorified when we call out to Him in moments of distress. Yet, I have to remind myself that God wants me to call out to Him all the time.

He loves my voice. He wants to spend quality time with me. He loves to tell me who I am and share words of affirmation. He loves to bless me. He cares about my life. Before I was conceived, he conceived a plan. Not a plan for me, but a plan in which I am able to work alongside the Creator God to fulfil His Master Plan.

My son does not belong to me. He belongs to the one who created him. That in itself is a humbling thought. And I will make sure to teach my son to exalt God for who He is.



Comments